- Store medications in a safe location, out of sight and reach of children.
- Never refer to medication as candy.
- Close child restraint caps on medications bottles every time.
- Coordinate among other caregivers who may also be giving medication to children.
- Ensure children receive the right medication, at the right time, and in
the right dosage.
Remember, unintentional medication overdoses in children are 100 percent
preventable. It is up to each parent and caregiver to store medicine properly,
and to ensure correct medication, timely distribution and dosage to keep
children safe. If you feel your child has been exposed to or overdosed
on medication, call the Poison Helpline at 1-800-222-1222.
For more information about Safe Kids, contact Kayla Hefner at the Health
First Center in the Valley Hills Mall by calling 828/485-2300.