Psychiatry Services caregivers understand the special, and often critical,
needs of our patients. Admissions are accepted on a 24-hour basis with
free intake assessment. Inpatient services allow practitioners to admit
patients to the hospital for short-term intensive evaluation, crisis intervention,
and/or medical detoxification.
- Turning Point for Adults
- Pathways For Seniors
- Psychiatric I.C.C. (Intensive Care Center)
- Medical-Psychiatry Services
We offer two separate comprehensive group therapy programs, Senior Health
and New Options. Both are supervised by our full-time doctoral-level psychologist.
Senior Health specializes in meeting the unique needs of our geriatric
population. New Options specializes in satisfying the requirements of
a higher functioning adult population.
- Psychiatric/Psychological Assessment: Each client receives a comprehensive
assessment which is utilized in the development of an individualized treatment plan.
- Chemical Detoxification: Medical detoxification is initiated to permit
safe withdrawal from addictive substances with minimal discomfort.
- Management of Pharmacological Interventions: This is a physician-directed
service. Many behavioral problems can be treated and improved with the
administration of psychiatric medication, along with psychotherapy and support.
- Daily Group and Individual Psychotherapy: This program helps patients identify
problems and develop a follow-up plan of care for addressing those problems.
Group therapy enables patients to learn and use new coping skills as they
interact with peers and staff.
- Suicide Precautions: Our Suicide Precautions/Risk Level System ensures
that every patient is monitored and observed at intervals deemed necessary
according to his or her clinical symptoms.
- Intensive Protective Interventions: Our staff is trained in effective preventative
and therapeutic physical interventions to provide the best care in a safe
and secure environment.
- Multidisciplinary Treatment Planning: A multidisciplinary treatment plan
is initiated upon admission for each patient. This plan identifies the
patient’s immediate critical needs and provides a plan of action
to meet those needs.
- Social Service Assessment/Intervention: This service educates the patient
about treatment options available in the Catawba Valley and surrounding
areas. Its purpose is to ensure that patients have the optimum plan for
available follow-up care.
- Community Resource Utilization: A goal in treatment that increases the
likelihood patients will succeed in outpatient treatment.
- Therapy: This consists of a wide range of therapeutic activities, including
assertiveness training, relaxation training, self-expression through music
and recreational activities, reminiscence, and self-awareness exercises.
Our Psychiatry Services Staff
We offer a professional staff specially trained in psychiatry to provide
a caring and personal approach to treatment. Our staff consists of the
- Administrator of Psychiatry Services
- Director of Psychiatry Services
- Administrative Assistant
- Registered Nurse
- Psychiatry Resource Liaison Nurse
- Clinical Care Manager
- Clinical Development Coordinator
- Psychiatric Technician II
- Psychiatric Technician I- Nursing Aides I & II
- Unit Secretary
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Medical Social Worker
- RN Case Coordinator
- Psychiatry Activity Coordinator
- Licensed Clinical Addictions Specialist
- Safety Technician
- Physician Assistant
- Nurse Manager
Catawba Valley Medical Center, 7th Floor
810 Fairgrove Church Road SE
Hickory, NC 28602
Fairgrove Professional Building
1120 Fairgrove Church Road, Suite 12
Hickory, NC 28602
Please see our
online Psychiatry Services Visitors Guide for information about visiting